Chief Operating Officer
HELP USA is seeking a Chief Operating Officer who will report to the President/CEO and oversee all programs and government contracts in three areas: transitional housing for families, transitional housing for single adults, and homelessness prevention services. This includes supervision of all social services and physical operations of 35 programs and program sites primarily in the Greater New York City area, that employ over 1000 people in total. There is tremendous variety in HELP’s portfolio of programs, including idiosyncratic buildings and unique contract requirements for nearly every program and requiring great flexibility.
In addition to a strong compensation and benefits package, this position offers opportunity for advancement within HELP USA.
Responsibilities will include:
- Ensuring that all programs achieve their programmatic goals and objectives and comply with contract requirements of funding agencies.
- Maintaining strong, positive working relationships with HELP’s many local, state, and federal funders.
- Addressing the many and frequent crises that arise regularly in the management of multiple transitional housing facilities and homeless service programs.
- Providing leadership and mentoring for a staff of five direct reports, including support for and understanding of the challenges of each one’s responsibilities. Direct reports include three Senior Vice Presidents/Vice Presidents overseeing HELP’s 35 programs, Vice President of Safety, and Vice President of Facilities Management.
- Serving as a member of HELP’s highly collaborative, five-person Executive Leadership Team, which includes the Chief Executive Officer, Chief Financial Officer, Chief Administrative Officer, and Chief Real Estate Officer.
- Contributing to the grant writing process to enable HELP to be awarded new program contracts and have existing contracts renewed.
- Promoting and supporting the organization at policy and advocacy meetings, both local and national.
- Preparing and presenting material to and working professionally and effectively with HELP’s Board of Directors and multiple funding agencies.
- Exercising fiscal responsibility to ensure that all programs operate within established budget.
- Adapting and redirecting course in the rapidly changing and fluid environment of homelessness policy and funding issues.
- Participation, including presentations, at relevant conferences.
- Commitment to the mission of HELP USA to end homelessness through housing, prevention, and shelter. If not already possessed, a willingness and ability to quickly learn the intricacies of homeless services and prevention.
- Minimum of 15+ years’ experience, including experience in social services, preferably homeless services or other residential programs, and at least five years of meaningful management experience overseeing multi-disciplinary teams in multiple programs concurrently.
- Gravitas, grace and a calm demeanor under pressure and in times of crisis.
- Ability to make unexpected course changes with ease and comfort.
- Outstanding, clear and concise communication skills, both written and oral.
- Undergraduate degree required with a graduate degree being a strong plus.